Monday, September 17, 2012

Summertime....




We have enjoyed our first summer in Tokyo, except for the HOTTTT and HUMIDDDD weather.  California has definitely made us weather wimps.

As I was walking home (and sweating) the other day, I started thinking about the word for "humid" in Japanese.  It's mushiatsui (むしあつい).  If you look at the word literally, "mushi" means bug and "atsui" means hot.  So does that mean that humid in Japanese = bug hot?  In my warped and feeble (and no longer able to remember words in English) mind, doesn't buggy also mean balmy?  And if so, this might be the very first element of the Japanese language that actually makes sense to me.  And if not, well, then.... I am trying waaay too hard to make it all make sense.

At the beginning of the summer break (which is only about 3 1/2 weeks along), the kids and I brainstormed about things we each wanted to do with our limited summertime.  And we crossed a lot off the list.  That said, as I look back over the list, I am struck by how "un-Japanese" many of our summer-time adventures were - not all, but many.  Alas....

Drum roll, please....  for stuff we did this summer!



  • Earthquake Learning Center
    • I scoped this place out first to make sure it wouldn't be too scary for the kids.  I needn't have worried - they loved it and seemed to learn a lot too.
    • It has an earthquake simulator, with motion and video of what it's like to experience an earthquake inside a house, on a street, and in an office.
    • Also has a "smoke-filled room" that allows you to practice feeling your way along the walls on your hands and knees to find an exit.  It had never occurred to me that fire is actually one of the biggest problems post-earthquake.
    • Kids got to practice using a fire extinguisher to put out a small flame (on a video) caused by a curtain falling onto a heater during the shake of the quake.
    • Did you know that a standard fire extinguisher lasts only a few seconds?  I had no idea...

  • Japanese Summer Festivals - Obon Matsuri
    • Obonmatsuri is the Buddhist festival to honor the ancestors (often with visits to the grave and food offerings).
    • During Obon, it is believed that the ancestors' spirits return to to visit their relatives.  There are also many lanterns to guide the spirits back to their world.
    • During Obon, you are supposed to be very careful not to kill any living thing  as you never know if one of your ancestors might be that living thing.  We made an exception for mosquitoes.
    • There's also the Tanabata (Star) Festival, when kids write wishes on slips of colorful paper and tie them to a bamboo tree.  It's supposed to be wishes for peace, love, and harmony, I think.  Ryan wished for a pet fish - which was fine with me, because I had to write it on the slip of paper at school and I actually know how to write "fish" in Japanese, but "peace, love, and harmony" is still beyond my Japanese skill level!  Just doesn't come up in my daily life...
    • The legend says that a star-crossed prince and princess angered the king and thus, were only allowed to see each other once per year, on the seventh day of the seventh month (Tanabata literally means night of the seventh).
    • It's the time of year with lots of kimonos and yukatas, especially at the festivals.
    • Fun Japanese dances that the kids were surprisingly interested in...
    • Little carnival games and food booths - what's not to love?














Tanabata Bamboo branch


  • ZooRasia
    • Beautiful zoo, great fun watching the penguins get fed... and the polar bears play.


So here's the funny thing, even with 2 huge elephants behind me,
I still look like a GIANT in this country!




  • Shinagawa Aquarium
    • We went there on our 10th anniversary!  Woo-hoo.  I bet you're jealous...
    • We had a great time - dolphin show(twice), sea lion show, etc.
    • Is it just me or does everyone leave a dolphin show with serious remorse that they did not choose dolphin trainer as their profession?  Seriously, is it just me?




  • Beetle Battles
    • Back in May (on Japanese Mother's Day, to be precise), our neighbors took us to a nearby park for a beetle-larva hunting expedition.  After digging around in old tree stump, we ended up with 4 big, white, kind-of-disgusting-looking larva.  Kinda like white grubs on steroids.  
    • And lo and behold, 2 months later, we had three HUGE beetles.  And truth be told, they were fascinating to watch.  Better than TV.  They would pick each other up with their horns and throw each other around - it was kinda like Olympic judo, beetle style.
    • We had no idea that beetles were such popular "pets" in Japan.  You can buy them in lots of stores and they cost $20 or so...






The beetle larva are the white round looking things.




















  • Kamakura Beach-time Fun!
    • We spent the day with a work friend of Kevin's who lives in Kamakura - it's less than an hour from us.
    • Kids had a great time playing in the waves.  Ryan was happy to find a starfish; Ethan was less happy to feel a crab on his toe...
    • How is it that the Pacific Ocean is sooooo much warmer on this side of the world?
    • Ryan was invited to engage in a wack-the-watermelon-while-blindfolded game.  It was all adults playing, none of whom we knew, Ryan just happened upon them on the beach, and I think they were a bit taken aback, when Ryan did in fact, smash their watermelon, in essence ending the game for everyone else.  
    • We kept getting outdone on the omiyage - it's a losing battle.  We brought them a box of candy for inviting us to the beach for the day, and then they just kept buying and giving us more and more stuff.  We lost (or won, depending on how you look at it) big-time!



  • Other Random Stuff
    • Parks, playdates, and picnics, and the Pokemon Center
    • Our first baking attempt - in the microwave and toaster oven, since we don't have a real oven here...

    • Tokyo Legoland (fun, but nothing like the REAL Legoland in San Diego)



    • Our first movie in Japan
      • Brave in 3-D, as highly recommended by my 4 year old niece, Louisa

    • Fourth of July - Breakfast bento, American style ....




    • Last but not least, Kakigori!!!!! A Mountain of Pure Shaved Ice Goodness


NOTE:  Please let me know if you're having trouble making comments.  I just changed the settings such that 1) anyone should be able to leave a comment (even without an account, but please sign your name or I won't know who left the comment) and 2) a comment requires word verification (to avoid comment spam).

I am NO tech expert, but if leaving comments is still a problem, I'll sic my in-house IT consultant / husband on it.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great report! What a memorable first summer in Japan, and such a positive approach to encountering and enjoying cultural diversity.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Still waiting for our first visitor so we can share our adventures... just sayin'

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy waking up to these blogs. Thanks for sharing these great adventures.

    Etalhan and Ryan look like typical Americans. I think ha nice sumo outfit would be perfect,!! Neked except for the loin clothe. That would be memorable.

    Love you all and miss you. Take care
    Grandpa Kei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do look American. The again, they are American, so I let them slide a bit...

      Stephen got a yukatta for his birthday so he probably looks more Japanese than Ethan and Ryan. Still on the hunt for the perfect one for the boys (ie, not the Pokemon ones that they want).

      Delete
  4. Those beetles are amazing and so ferocious looking! Can't imagine wearing a kimona in the heat and humidity; will Ethan teach me some of the Japanese dances? And, I want some shaved ice, too.

    Love to all,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, the shaved ice is delicious. Has real fruit, not just the sugary syrup stuff. Plus condensed milk, azuki beans, or yogurt to top it off. They have a molasses flavor that Dad would probably like (it's translated as brown sugar but I tasted a friends' and it's definitely molasses).

      Delete
  5. I'm feeling entirely pressured to leave a witty comment...as I thought this day would never come! Completely love and look forward to reading your blog entries Stephanie, and on occasion, assistant blogger Ethan.

    One more thing, "Irrinois," hilarious. Laughed myself silly, well, sillier.

    Cousin Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEAHHHHH!!!!!

      Makes me so very happy that you like reading them. Seriously. No pressure for witty comments, it's just nice to hear from you. You should think about a Tokyo trip...

      Glad to hear the someone else thought the Irrinois sweatshirt was funny as I felt pretty darn silly laughing out loud in the bus station when I saw it.

      Delete
  6. Nope. You're not the only one who would love to be training dolphins, or for me, just working in a zoo around the animals. I'm finally getting over the :"When I grow up I want to be a Vet" phase of my life.
    I have so many requests for your blogs...my list is getting longer and longer. Everyone loves your writing and your wonderful sense of humor. they hope you publish.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I literally have tears in my eyes every time I see a dolphin show and think "how did I miss my calling?" And how cool would it be for the kids to be able to say, "my mom's a dolphin trainer."

      After this last trip to the aquarium, Ryan said he wants to be a dolphin trainer so perhaps we can both live vicariously through him. Of course, we told him he has to put his head under water and learn to swim first.... not sure if that changed his mind...

      Glad folks are liking the blog. Comments definitely help me stay motivated so I don't feel like I'm writing to the internet black hole... as for publishing, I don't even know what that means really, so I can't even say yes or no... but I will say probably not.

      Delete
  7. Stephanie,

    Great blog! I'm enjoying all the stories, keep them coming. And thanks for the baby gift, we really appreciate it! Looking forward to dressing Devyn in the yukata! We'll send a picture! We'd love to come visit you in Japan sometime and it would be cool if you can make it to the UAE when we move there in January!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nathan!

    We would looooovvvve to have you come visit us in Japan. And I would loooooove to come visit you in UAE. That is so very exciting. How long do you think you'll be there?

    Glad you like the blog. You should start one about your UAE adventures - it is a surprisingly effective way of keeping people up to date on what your new life will look like. Just sayin... mostly because I'd like to read someone else's besides my own :)

    Ciao cuz,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph -

    If you're going to do a travel blog, you need to put some effort into it. This half-arsed stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

    =)

    Thanks for letting us steal your husband on your birthday, btw. We had a great time catching up. And the Bears won. So that was a nice cap to the evening. I wish we could have seen him under different circumstances, but I'm sure we'll see all of you sooner than later when you come back to visit in the states.

    It's great seeing you guys capitalize on all the things to do while you're overseas as well. I'm rather jealous.

    ReplyDelete